Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Touch of Trash, what's in a name?

I've been trying to figure out how to describe why this blog is called Touch of Trash. The phrase came from my sister in law's mother, who is from Texas.
Have I told you that I am secretly from the South? I must have been kidnapped and moved up to the Pacific Northwest when I was too young to remember. Here are a few reasons I know I am from the south:
  • I cannot control my need for big hair, bright fingernails and other Dolly Parton-esque style
  • I can spot someone with a major fashion violation a mile away- white shoes in winter, mixing of blues and navies, clothing too young (or old) for the person's actual age, and so on. And yet I will go to the grocery store in my jammy bottoms. Go figure.
  • I love to fry things, including green tomatoes. I also love peanuts in my coca cola even though I know that those days are over. I wonder what skinny southerners eat?
  • Gone with the Wind- one of my favorite books

and the list goes on.

Anyhow, when I met her I just KNEW we were kindred spirits. And one day we were discussing our need to embellish every outfit with a little something extra- always having to push the line between cute and tacky and she gave me the best advice I have ever gotten: "Honey, you ALWAYS need a touch of trash".

It was great advice because even though I work for a large corporation, I have to remember my roots when I do things like eat individual serving SPAM for lunch at my desk. I haven't done that since starting 20/20, I don't think SPAM is on my list of healthy foods.

But I love the phrase Touch of Trash, and will likely toss in an occasional post about something tacky I have done just to keep myself grounded. The picture in this post is a necklace made for me by a friend, it's priceless!

Looping back to my sister in law, she writes an outstanding blog called Hey from Japan. She's talented and witty and has hair two stories tall. Delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment