Friday, July 8, 2011

Pickles are NOT my friend.

GAH! My blood pressure was up again today (it has to be taken before and after every workout because it was so high when I started). The bottom number was 92! She and I discussed it and the only reasonable explanation is sodium.

Yesterday after weigh in I celebrated with some of those yellow/banana peppers, and also I have been eating a lot of turkey pastrami this week. So I went and looked it up- the turkey pastrami by Jenny O has 700 mg sodium per serving. EEK! That's about twice what regular lunch meat has.
Now I already confessed that I need to cut back on the lunch meat, I know it has sodium and also it's not nearly as good for me as cooking my own meat, but I have been lazy. But I won't ever get to stop getting my blood pressure checked until I consistently have the bottom number in the 70's and that won't happen with all this salt.
So, back to the drawing board- this weekend's goal: Cook some chicken and lean ground beef. Find some easy recipes (with ingredients I'll have) for keeping the meat moist and tasty. And remember, mother is always right- she has been on me about sodium for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment