Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Honeymooners

"Well, if I was asked to describe your build, I'd say you have, uh, very well developed muscles, uh, a good bone structure, very good bone structure, fine frame... and the whole thing is covered with fat." Norton, the Honeymooners

On Monday I was watching my video before working out. When you go to work out, they have you watch an educational video (generally 10-20 minutes long) about a variety of health topics and eating. They're actually really pretty good except whoever filmed them didn't make the Lord of the Diet (who hosts every episode) look nearly as kind and funny as he is in person.

Anyhow, I watched one on Monday about the phases of dieting. They don't refer to my grief stages, but they did discuss how everyone goes through phases- the honeymoon phase, a resistance phase, and acceptance.

I had to laugh, because I am clearly in the honeymoon phase. I attend all my appointments, follow the program and so on. But they say that everyone goes through resistance, whether it happens during the program or after.
But it's all relative- because even though I am honeymooning I struggle every day, every meal to change into a person who chooses health over instant gratification. The one who chants "I don't need that red licorice, I will just have a few strawberries" and so on.
But I am glad I know about these phases because I can prepare myself. Because this is a lot of work, and I'd prefer not to toss it out the window because I am not ready to face discouragement and/or rebellion. And also so I can make sure my honeymoon is more LoveBoat and less The Honeymooners. Heehee

No comments:

Post a Comment