Tuesday, July 19, 2011

In Which I Solve My Own Dilemma (one of them!)


The dilemma used to be "how will I carry big fat backpack over my big fat rear end without being exhausted in 10 steps".

Okay, rear end is still a ways from being small, but this year for our family vacation (which generally includes a little backpacking) we have 5 days on the trail. You know what that means? No electricity for my Magic Bullet. No easy way to access my lean lunch meat, or grilled chicken, or frozen berries. Or my Greek Yogurt.

I leave in about 3 weeks, so today I asked my dietitian (via email, it's so nice to have help so accessible) for ideas for backpacking. She sent me some, but unfortunately much of the suggested backpacking food is for people further along than me. And by that I mean they can eat beans, oatmeal, etc.

Now I don't want beans and oatmeal back yet- I am still learning how to eat well, how not to have to be stuffed to the gills all the time, and the temptation of oatmeal is just too much. So I started worrying about how I would come up with 5 days worth of food that:
1) fits into my eating plan
2) doesn't cost a fortune
3) might not taste horrific
4) will give me enough protein, carbs and fat to prevent me from eating my camping pillow in my sleep

I posted the question to the online Community for 20/20 dieters (and alumni) but it's not a very active online community. Not sure why, but it's not real active. I waited for a response for like 2 hours, then with my usual tenacity I sought out my own answers.

I realized I HAVE WHAT I NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!! I just used my 20/20 online meal tracker to plan out my backpacking meals….I enter what I’d hypothetically eat, and it gives me the calories and protein and carbs.

I can do this, I can use it to plan.

You will not conquer me, backpacking trip. You shall NOT lure me into the dark forest of bread and sodium filled sadness.

I do plan to also see if there are any of the dehydrated meals I can do/add in. Like I am sure I can do a veggie side one, peas or something. That would taste good and give me more food on my plate for very few calories more.

I still have plenty of time to plan all my backpacking days (will probably do 3 menus, duplicating two twice. Maybe more) and have my Dietitian review them before shopping.

Here’s a typical day, and nothing here is very heavy (as in weighty in my backpack- remember, if I need to eat it I have to carry it. ugh!)

Breakfast:
• 20/20 vanilla shake (made from powder)
Lunch:
• 4 oz trader joes turkey jerky
• ½ cup dehydrated apples
Snack
• 20/20 Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar
Dinner
• 3 oz pack of bumblebee tuna
• Packet of fat free mayo
• ½ cup dried strawberries
• Chocolate 20/20 shake (made from powder)

And here’s how that looks (see image) compared to what I should eat each day. It’s a bit low on fat, so I *may* be able to use regular (or lowfat) mayo packets, we’ll see. Also, note that I usually save my last shake of the day for right before bed, I pretend it’s a milkshake. Or a candy bar.

Anyhow, this little activity kind of cheered me up on what was an otherwise stressful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment