Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Costco

Here are a few of my favorite things, and why I get them at Costco.
  1. Spices- you get way fresher spices like garlic powder, dehydrated onions, seasoning salt, etc at Costco and they're cheaper than the grocery store for a larger quantity.
  2. Advil/Ibuprofen are a steal at Costco, again- pennies on the dollar and let me say that I am using more Advil (now that I work out 5 days a week) than I have in years.
  3. Vitamins- they carry top quality vitamins, minerals and other supplements. And did you know that anything marked Kirkland Signature (their store brand) is guaranteed to be the same quality as other brand name. Costco is great about returns, so I am never afraid to try their brand.
  4. Meat- shrimp,boneless skinless chicken, etc- all better quality than the grocery store for a better price. They have frozen mahi mahi and other fish that is delightful. My sister in law introduced me to those my first day of 20/20
  5. Veggies- the Costco celery stalks are a lifesaver. This weekend I bought two celery bunches at the grocery store (didn't make it to Costco that day) and they were almost $7 total, and once I removed the bottoms and leaves I had probably half the volume left, and they charged me by the pound. It goes without saying that their apples, lettuce mixes, etc are also really good quality and price. They also have frozen veggies. The cherry tomatoes are wonderful but I have to keep an eye on myself, I ate half a container while running errands one day, BIG belly ache later on from that one.
  6. Eggbeaters- again, great price and there are a million ways to eat eggwhites for dinner. Trust me :)
  7. Workout gear- they often have shorts, workout tops and swimsuits that are inexpensive and great for when you're losing weight and don't want to over invest in something that will be too big in a month. She says there is a tank top at Costco that is just like the Lulu Lemon ones.
  8. Batteries- best deal anywhere and the Kirkland Signature ones are great.
  9. Sunblock- two for the cost of one at a drugstore and you need it, now that you're outside working out.
  10. Sunglasses- Costco has a brand of sporty ones (one of my friends swears by them) and they also carry a Ray Ban sporty one that is pretty cool.
  11. Food for others- let's face it, we can't change how everyone else eats and cooking can be tempting, which is why I love stopping at Costco for a salad or dish to bring to a potluck. Their Caesar Salad is delightful, the carrot cake is super popular- and best of all, I don't have to be tempted with spoon licking as I cook. I just grab and go. (I like to snag a veggie tray for me while I'm there, so I have safe snacks).

and that is just to name a few. But remember, Costco does have Evil Sample Ladies so you have to be ready to not indulge. Besides, when was a dixie cup of something good enough to go off the eating plan? Never. Just focus on the great, healthy stuff you're getting at such a great deal.

Another good tip is that if you know you won't go through the Costco size of a product, find a friend and split the items and cost. Oh and don't forget your coupons- and if you do, you can grab a packet at their Customer Service Desk on your way in. I just learned that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment