Friday, June 10, 2011

Walk the Walk

Talking about getting healthy is really fun. Buying magazines and/or fitness stuff (new tennies, etc) is even more fun. Starting to work out, not so shabby.
Changing eating habits- HELL.
I started my new eating plan Monday. I've heard often how full you are on this program, so I was ready to be a bit bored (without dumping sauce and/or frying everything I eat) but this first week is a sugar detox. OUCH.
My head hurts, I am hungry, I am tired. I feel like an old possum in the garage- just stay away and you're safe. This week I can have the protein shakes, berries, lean meats. errr, that's about it. No veggies until next week. I was so counting on staring into space blindly snacking on cucumbers.
I drove to Oregon and back to see family for a few days. Wow, road trips lose their appeal when your snack food is water. Actually, being in the car is safe. It's outside the car where you start noticing what everyone else is eating and feeling really jealous. Then I remember, oh yeah- that crap got me here.
Only now do I realize how many billboards, radio commercials, and gas station aisle are focused on food. Crappy, greasy, fattening, sweet/salty food (my favorite).
I tracked my food, but I admit I went overboard on Wed. I pigged out on extra berries and some extra almonds. But I documented it and Thursday I woke up and didn't do it again. And that's what counts.
I did it- here I am, 5 days in and I am still meaner than a snake (though I daresay it has lessened a teeny bit today) and my head hurts. And I am tired, have I mentioned tired?
This morning I was so grateful for my trainer, because I was a zombie (and I told her I was) and let me say, it was SO nice to have someone walk me through the motions of working out. I gave it my all but wow- not to have to think about what is next or convince myself to finish my exercises, now that was nice.
I hear the first 7 days are the worst, skinnybuns says the evil nemesis Sugar is behind my witchy symptoms. I believe her. I ate a LOT of sugar, and its hard to give up. But I'm 5 days in and there's no turning back now. So onward I trudge. Just me, my shakes, my lean proteins and my healthy future.

No comments:

Post a Comment