Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Here comes Thanksgiving


Knock, knock.
Who's there?
The fattest holiday of all.
Go away.
I have kinda been dreading Thanksgiving. You see, usually we spend it at my brother-in-law's house, he is an amazing cook and every year I eat until I can eat no more, then I have seconds and thirds and end up in a state that requires Alka Seltzer to even stand up straight by the end of the day. As always, we were invited to go over. But we said no.
Now naturally you are thinking, " WHAT? Are you avoiding it? You can't avoid food forever, you know. Why not bring your own items, and drink a gallon of water before mealtime, and---"
This is when I jump in and cut you off with my answer. "Because I don't want to."
I have had a particularly stressful past few weeks, and I am exhausted. I've eaten well for the most part, but I've been on a plateau and frankly I am tiring of up/down weigh ins. And honestly, I am not sure I want to (not can, want to) deal with trying to dodge the tantalizing cakes Lee and Irma will bring, nor do I feel like marching past the stuffing with a mouth full of celery. For that reason, staying home sounds wonderful, and low key.
There will come a time when I can do this (heck, I've been to a number of events over this past several months and made great choices) but I think sometimes success doesn't mean suffering all day and eating healthy, sometimes it means doing what you know is right for you at the time.
So tomorrow I am making more pumpkin soup (with fresh pumpkins, kinda exciting) and I've got some of my favorite healthy foods to eat- fresh green beans, berries, etc. And I am going to enjoy my Thanksgiving meal with a side dish of relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment