Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Shake, Shake, Shake

Shakes have become part of my life. So I am jotting down some of my favorite blends, because who knows, maybe someone out there needs an idea for something tasty.

I should preface this with the fact that I use a Magic Bullet blender. I really labored over which to get- Magic Bullet, or Ninja. I ended up finding someone at work selling a MB for pretty cheap, so cheap won out. I love my Magic Bullet, and if I happened upon a robber in my house late one night I would most certainly grab my 20/20 shake packets and Magic Bullet before I ran out of the house.

Chocolate Cherry
Chocolate Shake Mix with frozen pitted cherries. Add 2tsp of cocoa powder and a splash of vanilla extract.
Option: splash of almond extract

Peach Pie
Vanilla Shake Mix with frozen sliced peaches and dash of cinnamon

Apple Pie
Mix together a vanilla shake packet, water, ice, 1 apple (leave on skin) and pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. Mix.
You can also add 1 T. peanut butter
You can also use 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce instead of an apple

Vanilla Latte
I don't drink coffee, so this is my "latte'. Warm/hot water, mixed with one packet vanilla shake mix and 2 tsp of Postum (a great coffee free substitute). Add a splash of vanilla and blend.
Option- add a splash of almond extract.
Option- add a TB of natural peanut butter
 
Pina Banana
Vanilla shake mix and a few chunks of pineapple (avoid canned with all the sugar- this should be fresh or frozen w/no sugar), few chunks of frozen banana and rum extract.
 
Strawberry PB Sandwich
Vanilla shake mix and 1 TB natural peanut butter, 1/2 cup strawberries.
 
PB Chocolate
Chocolate Shake Mix with 1tb natural peanut butter, plus 1tb cocoa powder
 
Some say not to blend the peanut butter into the shakes, but rather spoon it over the top and eat shake with a spoon. Not a bad idea, you get more flavor for your PB calories.
 
I am going to close this by saying that I thought the shake obsession was one of the weirdest, dumbest things I had ever heard before I started 20/20 and yet I now find myself advising people in line at the grocery store to try shakes instead of cereal. You just FEEL better. Some folks use other brands (I hear the Costco protein is great, the stuff in the purple bag) but I still use the 20/20 shake mix. It's premeasured, blends great and tastes super.
 
'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment