Saturday, October 29, 2011

My first 5k

I did it, I did it! I finished my first 5k* and I ran the whole way and there was a HILL I had no idea was going to be there, and I even did it at a pace of 11:27 (my usual pace is 12 minute mile). Oh, and my heart rate was crazy high on that sucky hill- like 180.

But I did it, I did it and I lived.

Just before the 3 mile mark (bottom of hill) I passed a few people on some sort of ill-timed adrenaline rush, which cost me at the end of the race because I darn near died at the end- I could barely run fast/sprint in the last 50 yards. It was like all the oxygen was sucked out of my body.

Here’s what I learned:

1. Sometimes the weather DOES cooperate (it was supposed to pour and yet we had a clear, sometimes sunny, day)

2. It’s super hard to find your pace among a zillion people

3. Walk/runs should start walkers and runners at different times

4. I can go faster if it means getting away from annoying ladies who talk the entire race loudly (“So then SHE got the new boots and we were going to get together but then Katie called and blahblahblah…”

5. I am capable of removing a long sleeve undershirt while running, including pins through both shirts and numbers

6. There are people insane enough to run in a full squirrel costume (and I can run faster than them)

7. I need a dog to borrow for these things, so many fun dogs (my dog is 5 pounds and would detest a crowded run)

8. I think a Zune would help, some music would have been kinda nice sometimes. Then again, it was nice to just hear the foot beats and my kids.

9. I have the best family in the world, my husband and son were jogging along cheering for me the whole way, running backwards and in circles (and ahead and back) but never once trying to make me go faster than comfortable- while my daughter ran right at my side the entire time.

10. Heart rate monitors rule, it was nice to check my heart rate and know "I can do this" (though I could hear Woodstock in my head, telling me the whole way).

I kind of like turning into an athlete again.

Here's my race time and info:



*Over 10 years ago I did a 5k, but I don't even remember it. Since I went to fat and now back to fit, I consider this my "first".

No comments:

Post a Comment