Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Snack, snack, snack, going off track.

So as I told you, I've been struggling a bit with losing. Last week was a no loss, but then I got to meet my new dietitian, and thought that would recharge me. I have been journaling my food, which is great, but I am struggling.

First, I feel hungry at night. I am not hungry of course, in fact if I were to make that a true statement I would say "I love to eat at night".

I thought about it- am I hungry at night? Not really. I just want to eat. And eat. And eat some more. But why, and where did this nasty habit come from.... Then I realized, when I make dinner I am eating it in phases. For example, I grilled fish and veggies the other day. The veggies went on first, so they were done first. I began to eat them while waiting for the fish.

There are at least 3 issues with this.
  1. It supports snack-a-thons. Snack followed by snack followed by....you guessed it.
  2. It makes it easy to forget to journal every item (who runs to a computer every 5 minutes)
  3. I don't recognize the food as a meal, so I feel like I've had no dinner.

these all result in the perfect storm for overeating.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not bellying up to a pint of Ben n Jerry's, nor am I driving through Dairy Queen (I used to do that in my nightgown- how embarrassing!). I am talking about the small things that inhibit weight loss or, eventually, I think will cause regain. Like extra cheese sticks, extra Greek yogurt.

I don't tend to "binge" on one item, I just tend to add on a smorgasbord of individual low cal foods that add up, resulting in no weight loss and a very frustrated me. It needs to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment