Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A little stuck...

I feel a little stuck. Granted, the scale went down last week (for a total loss of 28.6 lbs) but it's not moving as fast as it could. Last week was 1.2 pounds lost, this week my home scale indicates very little movement...
So I've begun to try to determine what is going on- where do I need to strengthen my skills and/or adjust my program. The first thing I thought of was my dietitian.
This all started before vacation when I found out my dietitian was taking a month of, a sort of a leave of absence. I liked her, and knew she was knowledgable from our first meeting, but at the same time I sensed something else was happening. I have no idea why, but our first meeting I wondered if she was going to be with the program for my entire time.
Sometimes I wondered if we weren't connecting, but then she was so kind- it didn't seem like that.
While she was out, I had two different substitutes. Then I was on vacation (not convenient but preplanned)
They were both wonderful, both people who fill in for folks on leave. But remember, I was gone for 2 weeks so I had
-former dietitian
-2 weeks of no dietitian (me on vacation)
-sub dietitian twice
-other sub once
- last week,back to former dietitian for one week before new dietitian this week.
are you confused yet?
Now my schedule is limited, so the coordinator was stuck with having to find me someone for my usual Thursday mornings which affected consistency. So this post isn't about a program issue for staff, it's more to help me figure out what is not working for me.
And this morning, I figured it out.
You see, She (my trainer) had me trotting along on the treadmill (still feels weird to say I "run" on it, even if it is for 5 minutes) and I was thinking about the other day while I was exercising and how I was jogging down my street and could almost see Erin right there (at the 10 o'clock position, where she stands on a stool when I am on the treadmill). When I got scared or tired, I could practically see her/hear her there reminding me that I am stronger than I know, that my body can do this, and so on.
And it dawned on me- the lack of connect with my dietitian (and consistency with the subs) has me feeling like I am on a food island. I eat within the program guidelines, I am still losing, but not as much as I could because I need that connection. I realized that I am inspired by the knowledgeable staff I get to work with, and I aim to please them. But without seeing them regularly at this important time (during Phase 1) and connecting, I am missing out.
So when I am home and don't journal my food it doesn't feel as bad as if I missed a workout. I'd never want to come in and tell Erin I didn't do all my home workouts. But I've gotten sloppy on journaling and working down some of my portions because I don't feel that accountability.
Don't think I've been holed up with Ben and Jerry's for weeks- I haven't lost my good eating habits, I just don't have the enthusiasm for the eating portion the way I do the working out, and realize that if I can connect better with my dietitian I think I can solve that.
But this, too, shall pass because on Friday I start with a new dietitian. Okay, not new- new to me. I am moving my weigh ins to Friday morning after workouts, and this Friday will be my first time with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment