Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Second Verse, Same as the First.

My sister and I used to sing this song as kids, something about King Henry. Every time we'd sing it, we'd holler "SECOND VERSE, SAME AS THE FIRST" and start all over again. Whenever I find things repeating themselves in life I think of that phrase.

Today that song is stuck in my head because I am ready for the second verse.
You may have read in my last post that I have a shiny new set of goals. They are new and scary and I daresay a bit fancy, and I love them. I am scared of them, having them feels like sitting behind the wheel of a veryfast car. Exhilarating, and terrifying. What if I crash? She, my trainer, is sure that I can do anything I want physically, and she shows me over and over how capable my body is becoming. She reminds me always how we can push ourselves (without injury) and it makes me excited about these new physical goals.
I know what I want now, but how do I get myself to follow all my good habits again? I know She will keep me working out hard, but who is going to help me get the eating back on track?
Enter my shinynew dietitian. Today was my second meeting with her (normally we meet on Friday, but this week she'll be in training so we had to meet 2 days early). I planned to put off weighing myself until Friday morning before workout, but she wanted me to hop on the scale real quick anyhow.
I almost had a heart attack. WHAT? Now? But I drank water! And a shake! I always weigh in the same- first thing, no food or drink. It's how I do it.

Onto the scale I went, and I was down just .2 lbs. That's 2/10ths, not 2 lbs. Sigh. She told me to go ahead and weigh in on Friday also, but she wanted to check the scale herself. Hmmmm, accountability is not so fun.
So we talked about this week, and my breakthroughs and the things I have learned (like using the new 20/20 Be Well tool for tracking) and so on. I did some stuff well this week- I journaled, I tried new proteins. I did some stuff poorly- I barely grocery shopped, I kept losing my pedometer.
She suggested we go back a bit. Sort of get a clean start, take a run at 'starting over' halfway through. She said some of her clients find it helpful. YES! I agreed immediately. It makes absolute sense- clean up, start back a ways.
So here I am, end of the day on my first day of my Second Verse and I feel great. I wanted to eat after dinner, but then I realized I wasn't hungry, and I applied a technique I learned from my dietitian today- I asked myself if eating that extra snack was going to get me any closer to the new goals. And the answer was a resounding "Nope."
I think I am going to like the second verse even better than the first....

No comments:

Post a Comment