Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Too introverted to... introvert!

My company is awesome in its celebration of all sorts of peoples- big, small, varying backgrounds, races, religions, as well as disabilities. We even have some focus right now on introverts. Managers have realized "hey, these techies aren't super social- maybe we should stop making them do embarrassing ice breakers and acting like they are friendly and help them work in a manner that fits their introverted real selves". I am social online, but I am actually an introvert. I hate forced social situations, and have to force myself to attend morale events for work.

Don't get me wrong, morale event planners- I appreciate your effort but I do not want to finish work, drive to Seattle and spend hours with my team (who I sometimes see more than my family) at a baseball game (which I do not enjoy) watching them drink (which I don't do) and if I am lucky, as the evening progresses they will drink more and more and begin to repeat themselves. I am happy to be around this behavior in people I am friends with- I'm a well known designated driver. But my coworkers? I'd rather have the afternoon off, thanks. If you want to morale boost me, let me spend BEFORE 3 pm not working with my coworkers. Or give me something I'd like. One team near me did no morale events and all got Kindle's for Christmas. WIN! I wish I was on that team. But alas, I am not.

Anyhow, the whole reason I am writing this post is because I was just clearing my calendar- I have lots to do and too many 'soft' meetings and trainings that I just don't have time for. One thing I cancelled was the Introvert Round Table, this was my big chance to connect with other people who don't want to connect. And I am just too introverted to do it.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment