Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sleeping Olympics

Seriously, I do. I love it. Naps- yep. Snoozes? Yep! Night time- I am like a hibernating bear. Or wait- maybe a ferret.


I saw this video  and almost died laughing. It's me, I thought. And not just because it's winter so I am pale and kinda hairy. No, I am a heavy sleeper.

When my kids were little, I'd sleep through their wake ups. Nightmare? Check with Daddy, I do not hear you. Crying? I'd ask my husband the next day what he was talking about when he described the crying and how he'd gotten up to soothe a screaming toddler. They could climb in my bed and I wouldn't wake up. In the morning I'd just wonder where they came from. Of course I am a kicker, so I am highly likely to give you the boot (literally boot/kick you HARD) if you encroach on my space in bed.

Anyhow, I've never used the sleep tracker on my fitbit. I tried, but didn't realize why it wasn't working- well the fitbit may be worn for step tracking on your belt, bra, pocket, or in your hair- but when you sleep it's wrist only. It comes with a nice little pouch and you just wear it to sleep. I was pretty certain I'd yank it off in my sleep, but I didn't.

The other challenge is you hold the button down for 3 seconds once you've crawled into bed and are ready to sleep. It looks like it's starting a timer, which really panicked me. "That can't be right!" I thought, but it is. Just hold it down- see a weird timer thing start and you are ready. I did this after reading, as I shut off the light.

Then I stared into the dark trying to see my wrist. What was my fitbit thinking? Was it judging me? Do I get extra steps for when I kick my hubby for snoring in the night? (answer- nope).

But it DID evaluate my sleep. And I got an A. 99% sleep efficiency. Of course, I *said* I love sleep. So I am going to do this more often, now that I know how to set it. And maybe someday fitbit will start ranking us against our friends for how awesome we sleep (because I am so far behind Skinnybuns in steps I could circle the earth and still not match her!). Ahhh yes, I've found my skill!

No comments:

Post a Comment